Energy is responsible for almost three quarters of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions. To reduce these emissions and fight climate change, more and more sectors of the economy are electrifying, and the production of this electricity is shifting towards wind and solar power. As this happens, power grids must maintain their key property of always perfectly balancing electricity supply and demand — an increasingly difficult task as more and more of the supply is influenced by the weather.
Dexter Energy is an Amsterdam-based startup that’s solving this problem using AI-based forecasting and optimization services for energy companies. Our software makes renewables more predictable and profitable, helping push fossil fuels out of the market, and speeding up the energy transition.
Following our recent Series A funding round, we are currently accelerating the growth of our company, and we are looking for an experienced Lead Data Scientist to join our diverse team of curious, ambitious and highly-skilled people.
As part of our load forecasting team, you are responsible for researching and productionizing the machine learning models that forecast electricity production (by solar and wind parks) and consumption (by households and large-scale users). Our customers manage thousands of renewable assets, and optimize them every day using our Software as a Service forecasting products. From day-ahead forecasting to intra-day nowcasting, you’ll be working on a diverse set of challenges, using technologies like Python, pandas, scikit-learn, scipy, and deep learning frameworks of your choice. Besides research results, we care deeply about writing great software: our ML models are all implemented using the latest best practices in terms of reproducibility, availability, modularity, and automated testing.
- You are excited to join a company that is working towards a cleaner energy future.
- You thrive in a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment and are motivated to keep learning new things.
- You are an expert in time series forecasting and have had a focus on it throughout your Data Science career.
- You care deeply about writing great software, following the latest best practices in terms of implementation details, documentation, and automated testing.
Read more below.
What you will be working on
Forecasting electricity production and consumption for short-term (real-time to a few days ahead) power markets.
Implementing deep learning models for high-resolution time-series forecasting problems.
Probabilistic load forecasting for downstream action optimization in collaboration with our optimization team.
Your responsibilities as lead data scientist
- Participating in setting the data science strategy for load forecasting in close collaboration with others on the team.
- Architecting and implementing data science solutions to complex business problems with a bias for starting simple and iterating with milestones.
- Guiding the personal development of the data scientists and machine learning engineers in the team.
- Active involvement in setting long-term goals (roadmaps and OKRs) and short-term priorities (sprints) to ensure that the team is executing efficiently.
- Proactively identifying and clearing roadblocks for the team to maintain a high velocity.
- Act as load forecasting liaison in the company. Interact directly with other teams to build a strong understanding of how Dexter operates and the load forecasting opportunities/challenges ahead.
- Mentor other data scientists and machine learning engineers on the team by building a strong culture of best practices and ensuring that we pick the right tools (and techniques) for the right job.
MSc in AI, Econometrics, Statistics or related quantitative field, or similar professional experience.
4+ years of professional experience building sequence modelling products (preferably time series forecasting).
Successfully applied deep learning techniques for sequence modelling, such as auto-regressive neural networks, LSTMs and Bayesian analysis.
1+ year of experience in a lead data scientist role.
Domain knowledge in electricity production and consumption forecasting or time series forecasting of other commodities.
Working at Dexter
- Work in a clean-tech scale-up that has an impact on the environment.
- Build a cool company in a highly motivated and entrepreneurial team.
- Make decisions quickly in a low hierarchy environment.
- Learn a lot of things in a short time, from colleagues who are excited to share their knowledge (about the energy industry or anything else).
- Get to work in a modern Python + Docker + k8s microservices-based stack, with a well-tested codebase, standardized CI/CD pipelines, and maintained documentation. We follow best practices to the bone and love to write great software!
- Collaborate within an ambitious team, which also values a healthy work-life balance. We encourage you to plan work around the hobbies that you want to pursue!
- Stock appreciation rights are part of the compensation package.
If you are interested in learning more about this position and what Dexter Energy Services can offer to you then please get in contact:
Jordan Cantlow, email@example.com / +31 855 607 326
Dexter is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity.