Energy is responsible for almost three quarters of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions. To reduce these emissions and fight climate change, more and more sectors of the economy are electrifying, and the production of this electricity is shifting towards wind and solar power. As this happens, power grids must maintain their key property of always perfectly balancing electricity supply and demand — an increasingly difficult task as more and more of the supply is influenced by the weather.
Dexter Energy Services is an Amsterdam-based startup that’s solving this problem using AI-based forecasting and optimization services for energy companies. Our software makes renewables more predictable and profitable, helping push fossil fuels out of the market, and speeding up the energy transition.
Following our recent Series A funding round, we are currently accelerating the growth of our company, and we are looking for an experienced Lead Backend Engineer to join our diverse team of curious, ambitious and highly-skilled people.
As part of our platform team, you will join the team that builds and maintains the backbone of our forecasting platform. You will work on our API, customer-facing administration UI and custom-built dashboards, using technologies such as Python, Django, Kubernetes and Vue.js. You will be expected to contribute to the roadmap and lead the team to execute the product vision.
- You are excited to join a company that is working towards a cleaner energy future.
- You have a pragmatic attitude and can lead others to produce results quickly.
- You care deeply about writing great software, following the latest best practices in terms of implementation details, documentation, and automated testing.
Read more below.
What your team will be working on
Backend development of our APIs to store and serve all our timeseries data.
Optimize query performance in collaboration with data engineers.
Building our UI for portfolio management and dashboarding.
Building and maintaining our client libraries.
Run everything smoothly on kubernetes.
Your responsibilities as Lead backend engineer
- Manage the tactical roadmap of the team.
- Responsible for personal development of the engineers in the team.
- Participate in setting the platform strategy in close collaboration with others on the team.
- Active involvement in setting long-term goals (roadmaps and OKRs) and short-term priorities (sprints) to ensure that the team is executing efficiently.
- Proactively identify and clear roadblocks for the team to maintain a high velocity.
- Work closely with and gather requirements from the other teams.
Worked with Python as the main language for the past 3+ years.
BSc in Computer Science or related quantitative field, or similar professional experience.
4+ years of professional experience building and operating web products including API components.
1+ year of experience in a lead backend/fullstack engineer role.
Have worked with “API-as-a-service” products before.
Affinity with data and ML services.
Working at Dexter
- Work in a clean-tech scale-up that has an impact on the environment.
- Build a cool company in a highly motivated and entrepreneurial team.
- Make decisions quickly in a low hierarchy environment.
- Learn a lot of things in a short time, from colleagues who are excited to share their knowledge (about the energy industry or anything else).
- Get to work in a modern Python + Docker + k8s microservices-based stack, with a well-tested codebase, standardized CI/CD pipelines, and maintained documentation. We follow best practices to the bone and love to write great software!
- Collaborate within an ambitious team, which also values a healthy work-life balance. We encourage you to plan work around the hobbies you want to pursue.
- Stock appreciation rights are part of the compensation package.
If you are interested in learning more about this position and what Dexter Energy Services can offer to you then please get in contact:
Jordan Cantlow, email@example.com / +31 855 607 326
Dexter is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity.