Energy is responsible for almost three quarters of worldwide greenhouse gas emissions. To reduce these emissions and fight climate change, more and more sectors of the economy are electrifying, and the production of this electricity is shifting towards wind and solar power. As this happens, power grids must maintain their key property of always perfectly balancing electricity supply and demand — an increasingly difficult task as more and more of the supply is influenced by the weather.
Dexter Energy is an Amsterdam-based startup that’s solving this problem using AI-based forecasting and optimization services for energy companies. Our software makes renewables more predictable and profitable, helping push fossil fuels out of the market, and speeding up the energy transition.
Following our recent Series A funding round, we are currently accelerating the growth of our company, and we are looking for an experienced Data Scientist to join our diverse team of curious, ambitious and highly-skilled people.
As part of our load forecasting team, you are responsible for researching and productionizing the — both classical and deep learning — machine learning models that forecast electricity production (by solar and wind parks) and consumption (by households and large-scale users). Our customers manage thousands of renewable assets, and optimize them every day using our Software as a Service forecasting products. From day-ahead forecasting to intra-day nowcasting, you’ll be working on a diverse set of challenges, using technologies like Python, pandas, scikit-learn, scipy, and deep learning frameworks of your choice. Besides research results, we care deeply about writing great software: our ML models are all implemented using the latest best practices in terms of reproducibility, availability, modularity, and automated testing.
- You are excited to join a company that is working towards a cleaner energy future.
- You thrive in a collaborative, entrepreneurial environment and are motivated to keep learning new things.
- You have had a focus on time series forecasting throughout your Data Science career.
Read more below.
What you might be working on
You will be working on forecasting electricity production and consumption for short-term power markets.
Forecasting real-time energy output, to be used in electricity market actions.
Using deep learning models for tackling a high resolution time-series.
Probabilistic forecasting for action optimization.
- MSc in AI, Econometrics, Statistics or related quantitative field, or similar professional experience.
- 2+ years of professional experience building time series forecasting products.
- 2+ years of professional experience in prototyping, developing and implementing software with python and familiar with key scientific libraries (sklearn, pandas, relevant deep learning frameworks).
Professional experience applying deep learning techniques for time series modelling such as auto-regressive neural networks, LSTMs and Bayesian analysis.
Domain knowledge in electricity production and consumption forecasting or time series forecasting of other commodities.
Working at Dexter
- Work in a clean-tech scale-up that has an impact on the environment.
- Build a cool company in a highly motivated and entrepreneurial team.
- Make decisions quickly in a low hierarchy environment.
- Learn a lot of things in a short time, from colleagues who are excited to share their knowledge (about the energy industry or anything else).
- Get to work in a modern Python + Docker + k8s microservices-based stack, with a well-tested codebase, standardized CI/CD pipelines, and passionately maintained documentation. We follow best practices to the bone and love to write great software!
- Collaborate within an ambitious team, which also values a healthy work-life balance. We encourage you to plan work around the hobbies that you want to pursue!
If you are interested in learning more about this position and what Dexter Energy Services can offer to you then please get in contact:
Jordan Cantlow, email@example.com / +31 6 855 607 326
Dexter is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace and is an affirmative action employer. We are committed to equal employment opportunity regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability or gender identity.